If you were impacted by the April 29 tornados and need help, or are wanting to help those affected, you’re in the right place.



Updated Monday, May 16, at 8 a.m.

For Ongoing Assistance

The Residential Disaster Assistance Center in Andover is now closed. If you were impacted by the April 29 tornados that hit Andover and parts of Sedgwick County and need assistance, and have not yet applied for possible future financial assistance, please dial 2-1-1. You can also dial 2-1-1 for help with ongoing basic needs.

211 is an information and referral source that will connect you to resources that will best meet your needs. They are in contact with organizations and officials responding to the situation and will provide the most up to date information. There are three easy ways to connect with 211:

Gray icon of a phone receiver to dial 211 and talk with a call specialist.

Dial 2‑1‑1 to talk with a trained call specialist. Calls answered 24/7. Free, statewide. Translation services available.


Text your ZIP code to 898-211 to have referrals sent to your phone.

Standard message and data rates may apply. Text STOP to opt-out. HELP for help. View end user privacy and terms and conditions here.

Gray chat bubble icons.

Chat now with a referral specialist.

Click the “Live Chat” button in the bottom right corner of this screen to get started.


Updated Friday, May 6, at 11:20 a.m.

We know you want help those impacted by the tornados on Friday, April 29. That’s why we want to provide you with the best ways to have the greatest impact.

Monetary Donation – Currently the Greatest Need

United Way has set up a fund to assist with recovery efforts after natural disasters.

  • Text “teamwork” (one word, no spaces) to 41444 to give on the go from your phone.
  • Mail a check, payable to United Way of the Plains with “Disaster Relief Fund” in the memo, to 245 N. Water St., Wichita, KS 67202.
  • Corporate donations can be arranged with Anne Chandler, Vice President of Philanthropy. Contact her at achandler@unitedwayplains.org or (316) 267-1321 ext. 4213.
  • Note: United Way 211 is not able to accept donations over the phone.
Volunteer Opportunities

The Volunteer Center at the Andover United Methodist Church is now closed.

Material Donations

Due to storage constraints, please check with agencies below about donations of physical items. Note: 211 cannot advise where to take items to donate. 

  • Basic needs supplies and hygiene items: Not currently needed at this time due to generous donations from area agencies and companies.
  • Clothing and household items: Please take to any area Goodwill store. Goodwill is distributing vouchers to those impacted by the storm so they can pick up necessities at a nearby store.
  • Food: Call the Kansas Food Bank (316-265-3663) or the Andover Food Bank (316-733-1644) to describe your donation and arrange to deliver.


Visit our newsroom for press releases about our latest response efforts. Please contact Angie Prather, Vice President of Marketing and Chief Community Engagement Officer, at aprather@unitedwayplains.org or (316) 267‑1321, Ext. 4105.