Free Tax Prep
File your taxes, fast and free.
Make less than $60,000? Our IRS-certified volunteers can prepare your taxes for free and identify tax credits you are eligible for, helping you save more of your hard earned money. Tax sites are located across Wichita and Sedgwick, Butler, Cowley, Geary and Marion counties.
Drop-Off and In-Person Appointments
Dial 2-1-1 to schedule your appointment beginning Jan. 17.
Presente sus impuestos, rápido y gratis.
¿Ganas menos de $60,000? Usa nuestro servicios rápidos y GRATUITOS para presentar sus impuestos. Voluntarios certificados por el IRS te ayudaran a preparar tus impuestos y obtener tu reembolso. Ayuda en Wichita y los condados de Sedgwick, Butler, Cowley, Geary y Marion.
Se aceptan citas en persona o deje sus documentos con nosotros.
Marque 2-1-1 para hacer una cita a partir de 17 del enero de 2023.
WHAT TO BRING TO YOUR APPOINTMENT
- Proof of identification (photo ID)
- Social Security cards for you, your spouse and dependents
- An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter may be substituted for you, your spouse and your dependents if you do not have a Social Security number
- Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN
- Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
- Wage and earning statements (Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R,1099-Misc) from all employers
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
- Health Insurance Exemption Certificate, if received
- Forms 1095, Health Insurance Statements
- A copy of last year’s federal and state returns, if available
- Proof of bank account routing and account numbers for direct deposit, such as a blank check
- To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms
- Letter 6475 the third Economic/Stimulus Payment
- Letter 6419 showing total amount of Advanced Child Tax Credits dispersed in 2021
- Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider’s tax identifying number, such as their Social Security number or business Employer Identification Number
- School tuition and fees
- Copies of income transcripts from IRS and state, if applicable
RESULTS THAT ADD UP
Each year, the Free Income Tax Prep program helps hard-working individuals and families save money. Here are results from the 2021 tax season:
The free tax prep service is offered through United Way of the Plains with the City of Wichita and IRS. United Way administers the grant from the IRS and provides coalition coordination. VITA volunteers, who are trained and certified by the IRS, provide assistance to individuals who qualify and help them obtain credits for which they are eligible (including the Earned Income Tax Credit).
BECOME A VITA VOLUNTEER
You have the power to help others on the road to financial stability. Every year, millions of dollars in tax credits go unclaimed because people simply don’t know they are eligible. You can help those individuals by volunteering through the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program. Join forces with 200+ volunteers who make the program a success every year.
This volunteer opportunity is great for young professionals looking to build their resumes, retirees wanting a temporary volunteer gig and anyone with a passion to help others.
- Free virtual, online and socially distanced in-person training provided to become IRS certified
- Short-term opportunity (January to April)
- Ability to pick your site and service type (in-person or virtual)
- On-site support – you’re never on your own!
- Greeters and coordinators also needed.
Our focus is on health, education, financial stability and basic needs—the building blocks for a good quality of life and a strong community. Click below to learn more about what we’re doing, the programs we invest in and our lasting impact in each area.