WICHITA, Kan., Friday, May 27, 2022 – United Way of the Plains will host a program to honor veterans and those currently serving in the armed forces. The event is free and open to the public.
Sunday, May 29, from 2 to 2:35 p.m.
IAM District Lodge #70 field at 3830 S. Meridian Ave. (I-235 and S. Meridian Ave.). In case of rain, the event will be moved indoors.
- 2:00 p.m. Welcome – Mr. Abel Frederic, Vice President of Community Impact, United Way of the Plains
- 2:01 p.m. Presenting of the Colors – McConnell Air Force Honor Guard (entering from south of the building and presenting colors east of the podium)
- 2:04 p.m. National Anthem
- 2:10 p.m. City of Wichita Remarks – Wichita Mayor Mr. Brandon Whipple
- 2:15 p.m. Union Remarks – Mr. Cornell Beard, IAM & AW District Lodge #70
- 2:20 p.m. McConnell Air Force Remarks – Major Chad Herner, Commander, 22d Logistics Readiness Squadron
- 2:25 p.m. Closing Remarks – Mr. Pete Najera, President and CEO, United Way of the Plains
- 2:30 p.m. Taps
Video/Photo Opportunities Available:
Before, during and after the program
Flags of Freedom is a grand, two-week display of 600 American flags, hosted by United Way of the Plains and IAM District Lodge #70 to honor, celebrate and remember veterans this Memorial Day. Flags have been on display at the IAM District Lodge #70 field at 3830 S. Meridian Ave. (I-235 and S. Meridian Ave.) since Monday, May 16. Dedications may be purchased in honor or memory of a service member for $30 each through May 31 at unitedwayplains.org/flags-of-freedom. The names of veterans honored with a dedication are listed on a virtual dedication wall at unitedwayplains.org/flags-of-freedom that will be online through Veterans Day on Nov. 11, 2022. The virtual dedication wall includes space for branch of service, rank and a personal tribute.
This fundraiser supports United Way programs that assist veterans in obtaining transportation, shelter, mental health care and other wrap around services. Flags will be removed from the field on Tuesday, May 31.
DOWNLOADABLE VISUAL RESOURCES: Click on the image or video below to download.